ReTRA – Africa is a Global CSR program to uplift marginalised Youths of Africa by providing access to international quality education at minimal cost. ReTRA – Africa has its antecedents in the Langkawi International Dialogue (L.I.D) which was a Congregation of African Leaders in Malaysia to establish SMART PARTNERSHIPS to promote investment , trade and education since 1997. A significant outcome of the LID education component led by Binary University was the establishment of the Binary- First Lady Scholarships and Binary Global Teaching Centers (GTCs) in several African Nations.
ReTRA represents another phase of Binary University’s continuing engagement with Africa. The aim of ReTRA is to provide access to quality international higher education to marginalised youth in Africa where students get to enjoy 100% scholarship on tuition fees.
Retra Scholarship Fund : 100% Scholarship
The aim of ReTRA – Africa is to empower 100,000 African Youth by 2030 transforming them to become Industry Specialist Professional talents and Youth Entrepreneurs. To achive this aim, the ReTRA Scholarship Fund was established where all qualified African Youth will be provided 100% Scholarship and all tuition fees for the 4-Year Degree is totally waived. Students only pay a small exam fees per subject.
Unique Ecosystems-Based Education Model
Quality education alone is not suffice to secure good paying jobs in today’s highly competitive job market.This is why at Binary, we have a unique system of creating highly employable graduates and Entrepreneurs through our Ecosystem-Based Education Model.
Using this model,you will be transformed to become an Industry Specialist Professional under our ISP Ecosystem, be equipped with an entrepreneurial mindset so that you can be creative and innovative using our BEE (Binary Entrepreneurship Excellence) Ecosystem and be connected with thousands of Employers who are part of our Binary Talent International or BTI Ecosystem who are all seeking Industry Specialist Talents.
The Power of ISP : Outstanding Graduate Employability
With the establishment of thousands of new educational institutions around the world, employers are faced with an oversupply of graduates. Many of these graduates are merely equipped with academic knowledge and therefore suffer from being a real asset to employers whereas employers globally are seeking graduates with industry-specific and job-specific skills.
This is why in 1989, Binary introduced the concept of producing Industry Specialist Professional (ISP) graduates to help employers obtain Job-ready graduates. The first group of ISP graduates were groomed for the IT industry in collaboration with IBM, Oracle, Sun Microsystems, Lotus, SAP and Microsoft, the world’s TOP IT giants.
From the IT industry, the ISP Ecosystem was expanded to 22 other industries as shown below
The ISP Version 5.0 or ISP Premium which will be launched in March 2022, and this will elevate the ISP Ecosystem even further. ISP Premium will provide employers globally the opportunity to hire tailor-made graduates using a unique smart partnership model. The ISP Premium will transform graduates to become Talents who are equipped with sound academic knowledge, job-specific skills IR 4.0 skills, global mobility skills and ISP.
Alumni of Binary University
Students can choose to pursue any one of the 3 programs as follows
- BA (Hons) Business Management
- BSc (Hons) Computer Science
- BSc (Hons) Management of Technology
- Duration : All programs take 4 years to complete
- Semester : Each year students will complete 2 semesters
- Modules & Credits : Each semester students will undertake 5 modules, each of 3 credits (Total : 15 credits per semester)
- Degree Award : The degree offered through ReTRA – Africa is exactly the same as that offered on-campus. All degrees are honours degree and students need to have successfully completed 120 credits to be eligible for the approval and thereafter conferment of any degree by the University Senate.
- Applicants must have completed the equivalent of Grade 12 with minimum 5 credits or minimum CGPA 2.5 or average of 50%. (Please send your results to “email@example.com” and The Admission Department will revert to you)
- Applicants must be below 35 years old.
- Application is open from 15th June 2023 and closes on 15th August 2023.
- The next intake for 2023 is 18th September 2023.
- Ensure you meet the minimum entry requirement.
- Click below to complete the Registration Form. (No fee need to be paid at this stage)
- The University will send the Offer Letter to you. Upon accepting the Offer Letter, you need to pay the Exam Fee of USD475 per semester.
- You will be provided a unique username and password to access online study videos, Assignments & other support materials.
- Tuition fees: All RETRA applicants are provided 100% scholarship on Tuition fees. Each successful applicant will enjoy the Full Scholarship of USD5000 per year ie USD20000 for the 4year degree program.
- Exam Fees: All applicants must pay the exam fee of USD475 per semester upon accepting the Offer Letter given by Binary University. Exam fees becomes payable at the beginning of each semester.
- Established in 1984, Binary University is a globally-recognised, fully accredited university by the Ministry of Higher Education, Malaysia and registered under the World Higher Education Directory, UNESCO. It is NOT an online university but a tradisional university that offers Full-time residential PhDs, Masters and Bachelor degrees supported 6 Research Centres of Excellence. The university is patronized by students from over 60 countries worldwide.
- All degrees offered under RETRA are the same as offered on-campus and are fully accredited and recognized by the Ministry of Higher Education (Malaysia).
Binary University is also recognised by the following international organisations
Q1.What is RETRA-Africa?
RETRA-Africa is a Global CSR program to uplift marginalized Youth of Africa through providing access to international quality education at a very minimal cost.
Q2.When can I apply for RETRA Africa?
You can apply anytime of the year. However you will be allowed to start your studies on the next available intake.
Q3.Can I study and work?
Yes, you can study and work or work and study as there is NO fixed time to study. However you need to allocate about 2-3hours study time per day.
Q4.Is everyone eligible for the Full Scholarship under RETRA-Africa?
Yes, all is eligible as long as the applicant is an African from any country, meet the entry requirements, has good command of English and able to pay the exam fees of USD475 per semester.
Q5.What is the entry requirement based on my country?
The general entry requirement is a pass in Grade 12 with minimum score of 50%. For specific entry requirements for each of the African countries, please click
- The List Of Entry Qualifications For International Student (Last Updated: 13 February 2023) [Download]
Q6.What can I do if I cannot afford to pay the exam fees of USD950 per year?
You may apply
- For a study loan from a local bank using our Offer Letter.
- To withdraw a portion of your Parents Pension Fund (if this is allowed in your country) using our Offer Letter.
- To apply to the Foundations in Africa that do assist deserving African students.
- To apply to your Local Member of Parliamet (MP) or State Assemblyman who can then assist to get fund from various local sources as USD950 is an insignificant amount to them.
Q7.Can I transfer to the University to study on-campus?
Yes, you can transfer to study full-time at the end of Year 1, 2 or 3 at our campus in Malaysia. If you choose to do this, you must remember that
- You will need to pay the Full Tuition Fees of USD5000 per year for the entire study period at the campus.
- You will need to budget about USD500 per month for accommodation, food and other expenses.
- You need to obtain a Valid Student Visa from the Immigration Department of Malaysia (cost approximately USD800) which the International Students Office will assist you. You must apply at least 4months before you can choose to join on-campus study.
Q8.Can I pursue a Master Degree overseas after completing the Bachelor degree under RETRA?
Yes, you can. As the degrees offered under RETRA are exactly the same (120 Credits) as that offered on-campus, you may continue your studies overseas. If you wish to pursue at Binary University, you may apply for partial scholarship under the MyBIG (MyBinary International Grant) program. (Link : binary.edu.my/big_main)
Q9.What happens if I stop half-way through the program?
If you are unable to complete the degree, the University will issue a Transcript that will show all the subjects that you have successfully completed with the relevant credits.
Q10.Can I continue the degree under RETRA after stopping study half-way?
Yes, you can subject to availability of places (seat) and you must do these within 24months.
Binary University is recognised by the following international organisations